With thousands of pest control products lining the shelves, it’s easy to think you can take care of that “little termite” problem on your own. The biggest benefit of DIY pest control is that it saves money up front. The biggest downfall, is that it almost NEVER works, and usually even makes the problem worse. You know how your doctor always tells you to take the full bottle of antibiotics? Well, that’s because if you don’t some bacteria can survive and actually become stronger! Pest control is similar. What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger – right?
Plus, there are some big risks when DIY-ing pest control. Here’s just a few to consider.
- Pesticide Poisoning – Many pesticides contain poisons that can do serious neurological damage to humans, not to mention – death. If you do take the DIY route, keep your children and pets away from the treated area and the product.
- Venomous Insects – Even if you aren’t allergic to the insects invading your home, many (spiders especially) contain a venom that can be extremely harmful to humans. If you’re ever bitten, seek medical attention immediately.
- Oversight – Sure, there are thousands of pests right in front of your eyes, but there are thousands more hiding in every nook and cranny imaginable. And what about that nest way back in the wall? Save yourself the time, money & trouble, and call a professional.
- Respiratory Damage – Many pesticides contain chemicals that are damaging to the lungs. Aimlessly spraying foreign chemicals around your home puts you and your loved ones at risk.
- Chemical Burns – Not many people have experienced chemical burns – well DIY pesticides often contain chemicals that can have adverse reactions when it comes in contact with skin. It’s better a professional handles the chemicals with proper safety attire and the knowledge of the product.
- House Fires – Many people believe a bit of heat can rid them of their bed bug problem. NOT TRUE. It might be a temporary band-aid for your problem, and it also could burn your house down.The only true way to remove bed bugs is with professional extermination.
- Chaotic Animals – Imagine being that raccoon trapped in your basement. He doesn’t want to be there anymore than you want him there. When an animal feels threatened, it’s likely to become aggressive. Call a professional with the properly trap and release tools to safely remove any rodents or animals from your home.
- Incorrect Placement – Where in the home are mouse traps most effective? Where do German Cockroaches like to build their nests? Are termites more likely to take over the floors, or the walls? Pest control is a science. To properly and effectively rid your home of pests, you’re better off leaving it to the experts.
DIY pest control efforts can be a temporary fix to your problem, but the risks associated are high, and likely not worth the few dollars saved in the long run. At Green Machine Pest Control, our experts are trained in removal and extermination of scorpions, German Cockroaches, termites, bed bugs, rats, squirrels, rodents, ants and anything in between. Our preventative services also help keep your space pest free so you don’t wake up to an unexpected visitor. Give us a call today and schedule your inspection.